Sutton Scarsdale Church
Church, free entry
St Mary's Church,
St Mary's Church at Sutton Scarsdale stands on the south side of the courtyard of Sutton Scarsdale hall, built by Nicholas Leke, the fourth and last Earl of Scarsdale, in 1724.
The Church dates from the 13th Century, although it was rebuilt in the late 14th and early 15th Century by the Leke family. It is one of the oldest churches in Derbyshire and has a rare tomb depicting a carver of a Norman household, one of only 3 in Britain.
St Mary's is still in use as a place of worship and was awarded a grant by English Heritage in 2007 for repair work.
Donations gratefully accepted
SK 444686 53.21260 -1.33659
Free parking available at Sutton Scarsdale Hall.
Leave M1 motorway at junction 29 and take A6175 (signposted Clay Cross). Take 1st right turn into Heath village. Follow road through village for approx 1 mile, then turn right out of village onto Shire Lane. As lane curves round to right take left turn onto Sutton Lane. Follow road for ¼ mile turn left (Hall Drive). Follow road and brown signs to Sutton Scarsdale Hall.
Take A617 to junction with M1 motorway and, at roundabout select left lane and take 2nd exit (A6175). Then follow route from North/South.
Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and, at traffic lights go straight on. At roundabout select middle lane and take 2nd exit (A632 signposted Bolsover). Follow road through Calow and on to Arkwright Town. At roundabout (Arkwright Town) take 3rd exit onto Sutton Lane Follow road for 1¼ miles. Turn left (Hall Road). Follow road to Sutton Scarsdale.
- Picnic site
- Children welcome
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Smoking not allowed