The village of Temple Normanton sits on a hilltop just a few miles south of Chesterfield and has a very unusual church.
The first church was built in the village before the Norman Conquest and it was replaced by a stone church in Victorian times. Subsidence from mining at the Grassmoor Collieries nearby made the church unsafe and it was replaced by a wooden building in 1922. This temporary structure couldn't stand up to the strong westerly winds and was itself replaced by the 4th building to stand on the site, this time made of fibreglass!
At the time of the Domesday Survey in 1085/6, the Manor Normanton, which included the two villages of North Normanton and Little Normanton, belonged to the Crown. Later, it passed to the Knights Templar and became one village called Temple Normanton.
The Knights Templar were a band of crusaders formed around 1099 and became extinct in 1312 when the order was dissolved by the Council of Vienne. The land and property of the village passed to the Knights Hospitaller. The order was charged with disloyalty by Henry VIII and was dissolved, with the manor reverting to the Crown. In 1563, the manor was granted to George Talbot, the Earl of Shrewsbury, who was to become Bess of Hardwick's 4th husband.
In 1846 the manor was owned by Robert Arkwright, the grandson of Sir Richard Arkwright, the 'Father of the Factory System'. Robert lived not far away in Sutton Scarsdale Hall.
Along with many of the villages in this part of Derbyshire, there was a coal mine at Temple Normanton. Bonds Main Colliery was owned by the Clay Cross Company, originally set up by George Stephenson. The Colliery closed around 1949 and little remains of it today.
SK 419675 53.20292 -1.37417
Leave M1 at junction 29 and ake A617 towards Chesterfield. Leave by 1st slip road off dual carriage way (approx 2 miles). Turn left at end of slip road towards Temple Normanton (B6425). Follow road round sharp left hand bend (becomes B6039) and follow road to Temple Normanton.
Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway, then follow route from North/South.
Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and go straight on at traffic lights. When carriageway divides, select right hand lane and at roundabout take 3rd exit. At next roundabout (traffic light controlled) select left lane and take 2nd exit (A617). Take 2nd slip road off dual carriage way (approx 2 miles, signposted Temple Normanton). Turn right at end of slip road (B6425). Go straight on at traffic lights and follow road round sharp left hand bend (becomes B6039). Follow road to Temple Normanton.
: 4 miles from Chesterfield station
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted