Chesterfield Visitor Information Centre
A pretty, almost 'quaint' Derbyshire village which looks out over the Vale of Scarsdale and is close to Hardwick Hall, Heath deserves its official designation as a Conservation Area. Despite the M1 and A617 that are both nearby, Heath still has a sleepy, country atmosphere.
It was the Danes who settled here, establishing two hamlets, Lunt on the valley floor and Le Hethe on the heath land above. This would become Heath, although it is Lunt that is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, since when Lunt has disappeared.
Heath passed to the Earl of Devonshire in the 16th Century and remained part of the Ducal estate for 400 years, although today much of it has been sold into private ownership. It was Christian, the Countess of Devonshire, who founded the first school in the village in 1685. The building still stands on High Street but is now a private house. Many other buildings have been converted to houses, including the Reading Rooms, the George and Dragon Inn and the Old Forge.
SK 447667 53.19550 -1.33236
Leave M1 motorway at junction 29 and take A6175 towards Clay Cross. Take 1st right turn into Heath.
Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway. At roundabout take 2nd exit (A6175 signposted Clay Cross). Take the 1st right turn into Heath.
Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and at traffic lights go straight. When carriageway divides select right hand lane and at roundabout take 3rd exit. At next roundabout (traffic light controlled) select left lane and take 2nd exit (A617). Follow road for approx 4 miles to motorway junction roundabout. Select right lane and take 5th exit (A6175 signposted Clay Cross). Take 1st right turn into Heath.
: 7 miles from Chesterfield station
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted