Village, free entry
Chesterfield Tourist Information Centre
Wessington sits astride the A615 between Matlock and Alfreton and is centred round a wide village green and its old pub, the Horse and Jockey. There are five miles of footpaths and bridleways in the parish so exploring the attractive countryside around Wessington is best done on foot.
The Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as Wistanetune, which may come from the Anglo-Saxon words for 'water' and 'town'. It's a fact that the village green has several springs and 3 wells were sunk there hundreds of years ago. Moses Well, Tea Well and Jubilee Well were still in use in the middle of the 20th Century.
Originally owned by Walter Deincourt, the manor passed to the Abbot of Darley and, after the dissolution of the monasteries, Henry VIII granted it to Thomas Babington.
There were no coal mines at Wessington, but many villagers worked at Morton, Shirland or Oakerthorpe Collieries which were nearby. As with other coal mines in the area, these are all now closed.
Today, Wessington village green is a local nature reserve and, in 2005, the village took 2nd prize in the Derbyshire Greenwatch Awards for developing the reserve.
Open all the time
SK 384711 53.23554 -1.42613
Leave M1 motorway at junction 28 and take A38 signposted Ripley and Derby. Leave by 3rd slip road (approx 4 miles) and come up to roundabout. Take 3rd exit (A61 signposted Chesterfield). About 100 yards down road, turn left (A615 signposted Matlock). Follow road to traffic lights and turn right. Take first left turning 200 yards down road (A615). Follow road into Wessington (approx 1½ miles).
Follow A617 to motorway roundabout and take 1st exit (M1 south). Leave M1 at next junction (28), then follow route from North/South.
Follow A6 to Matlock. At roundabout take A615 signposted Alfreton. Follow A615 out of Matlock to Tansley (approx 2 miles). Continue on A615 through Tansley to Wessington (aprox 3 miles).
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted