Wingerworth is generally regarded as a quiet suburb of Chesterfield since it's only a couple of miles south of the town centre, but it started out as a village centred around its church.
Wingerworth was first settled in Anglo-Saxon times, but the Romans passed through the area when they built Ryknield Street, the road from Derventio (Derby) to Rotherham. The first written record of Wingerworth appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name of Wingreurde which was owned by the Crown.
During the Middle Ages, the Lords of the Manor were the Brailsfords and, later the Curzons of Kedleston who, in the 18th Century built the beautiful neo-classical mansion of Kedleston Hall near Derby. Meanwhile Wingerworth, by the end of the 16th Century, was owned by the Hunlokes who were the dominant family in the village until 1920.
Henry Hunloke, a merchant tailor from London, built the first Wingerworth Hall around 1600. A much grander mansion was built in the 1720's, after the third Henry Hunloke had been awarded a baronetcy for siding with King Charles in the Civil War. In 1920, Philip Hunloke sold the estate in the face of a large mortgage and potential death duties, and pursued his career as sailing master to King George V.
As well as the Hall, the Hunlokes created a Park which once had a large herd of deer, and an Avenue that ran from the Hall to the River Rother and beyond. Their mausoleum, built in 1783, is now part of the Church. In 1924, Wingerworth Hall was pulled down and very little remains today.
Large-scale coal and ironstone mining started in the mid-19th Century at the Avenue and Speighthill pits. By 1930 the village's coal mining era was over and, today, Wingerworth is better known for the beautiful walking country just a short step away.
Open all the time
ContactChesterfield Tourist Information Centre
email a friend
Derby Road, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 6LX
Map reference: SK 383685 Lat: 53.21218 Long: -1.42794
Leave M1 motorway at junction 29 and follow A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At traffic light controlled roundabout select left lane and take 1st exit (A61 signposted Derby). At 1st set of traffic lights (McDonalds) go straight on (A61). Go straight on at next 2 sets of traffic lights and pass Esso petrol station on left. Take 3rd turning on right after Esso station into Longedge Lane. Follow road for approx ½ mile into Wingerworh vilage.
Follow A617 to M1 motorway junction, then follow route from North/South.
Follow A619 to Chesterfield . At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and, at traffic lights go straight on. When carriageway divides select right hand lane and, at roundabout take 3rd exit. At next roundabout (traffic light controlled) select right hand lane and take 3rd exit (A61 signposted Derby), then follow route from North/South.
Accessible by Public Transport : 3 miles (4.8 kms) from Chesterfield station